Thursday, October 19, 2006

Meet a Celebrity

I listened carefully as the Customer Service Manager politely explained why I had an extra bank charge on my account.

"Madam, you are only allowed an overdraft of 100,000," Damian said. "If your account is overdrawn beyond this, you incur additional charges."

A youngish man approached the desk and sat down next to me.

Great, I thought in disgust. Now I had to discuss my feeble account in the presence of this stranger! I gave him an 'excuse me I'm not done yet' look and turned back to Damian. Imagine my surprise when I found Damain on his feet, hands stretched out to greet the stranger!

"Hello, you are most welcome," Damian said his face all lit up like he had just seen Santa Claus. "How can I be of service?"

I cleared my throat. "Excuse me, are we finished?" I asked raising my eyebrows.

"Oh, don't you know who this is?" Damian gestured towards the stranger.

I took a good look at the man seated next to me. He was smartly dressed in a white sailor-like outfit. He could look very decent if he had a hair cut, I thought to myself. Turning back to Damian I said, "no, should I know him?"

Damian laughed nervously. "This is Chameleon, surely you have heard about him?"

I held out my hand to Chameleon and we shook hands. What a strange name, I thought.

"Are you a DJ in one of the popular FM stations?" I asked politely.

Chameleon stared back at me shaking his head.

Damian hurriedly jumped in, still laughing nervously. "Excuse me please," he said to Chameleon, leading me away from the table.

"That is a very famous musician!" he said earnestly. "Surely you have heard of him."

The blank expression on my face must have convinced him that I was a totally useless case.

"Madam, that will be all," he said. "Please make sure that you do not over draw your account and you will not see those charges again."

"Alright, thank you for explaining all this," I said. "And thanks for introducing the Lizard. I will look out for his music." I raised my voice so that the Lizard would hear me and not feel too bad that I hadn't recognised him.

"Chameleon," Damian whispered. "His name is Chameleon!"

"Oh," I murmured realising my mistake. "Well, I'll be on my way."

As I strolled out of the bank, I couldn't resist looking back at the Lizard, I mean, Chameleon who was staring at me like I was an alien. I gave him a small wave and a big smile as if to say, don't worry, I will never forget who you are.

Unfortunately, I did forget all about him until he started fighting with Bobi Wine or was it Bebe Cool? (I know it was in the papers everyday. I guess I just skimmed those pages.) One problem though, I don't remember what he looks like, but at least I recognise the name and I know what he does.

3 comments:

ish said...

stranger things have happened, i have a friend who claims he's Ugandan but has never heard of kimansulo!

Christina said...

Hey, i am so glad that i am not alone out there! At the risk of sounding really 'not with it', i have to ask. Is kimansulo another celebrity i should know about?

Christina said...

I have found out who or rather what kimansulo is. No need to elaborate here. Thanks